This drill teaches you how to streamline and balance your body, and helps you with your breathing. During the sidekick you are kicking with one arm in front, one arm by your side, while rotated. It is the perfect drill to perfect your body rotation during swimming. Use fins if needed.
How to do it
- Start on your stomach with one arm stretched out in front of you, the other arm along your body
- Kick with a steady pace
- Now slowly turn to the side, but keep looking down towards the bottom of the pool
- At this point one shoulder is lifted out of the water. Your hips and legs are also turned to the side
- Gently turn your head sideways to breath. Make sure you breathe out underwater
- Starting position: 1 arm in front, 1 arm next to body
- Kick steady and face down towards the bottom of the pool
- Breathe in by turning your head sideways (do not lift)
- Keep your core tight and your feet up
Alternate the side kick with swimming freestyle. Your arm recovery and breathing should feel much easier.