The hinge drill lets you practice the catch phase of the freestyle without pulling through. You can focus on the positioning of your hand and forearm only. Use a snorkel to isolate the movement. Fins are optional.
How to do it
- Start kicking with both arms stretched out in front of you, hands are shoulder width apart
- Bend your elbow and bring the hand under your elbow with your fingertips pointing down. There should be a 90 degree angle in your elbow
- Without moving your elbow bring your hand back forward
- Repeat with the other arm
- Focus on the position elbow and hand, not on the propulsion
- Kick and breathe easily, keep a neutral head position
- Control the execution of the drill – don’t rush it
This drill requires a lot of repetition. Alternate with swimming freestyle with a snorkel, focussing solely on bending the elbow to get that catch position before pulling through. Eventually you should feel an increased feel for the water in your catch.