This drill allows you to fully focus on your timing since you can visually see when your arm is coming back. During the switch drill your recovery phase is underwater. You pull, and at the same time your other arm comes back under water.
How to do it
- Kick on your stomach with both arms in front
- Pull through with one arm. Bring it back under water
- Once the hand is exactly under your face, the other arm starts the pull-through
- Continue this cycle
- By using a snorkel, watch closely when your hand is in front of your face
- Only then you start your catch with the other arm
- Repeat this movement until the rhythm feels natural to you
Alternate this drill with the shoulder tap drill. This helps you change your timing of your pull and start gliding through the water much easier.